NOTICE:
I am starting to work with updating this board.  Not sure how long it will take me.
IF YOU SEE "BOARD NOT AVAILABLE"  at times, this will be due to the update.
Also moving files around on my server.

I will try not to keep it disabled long.

The new update should be better, and will be responsive. which means,  it can be viewed by most devices.

rask cycle
motorcycle message board

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
T140 Eating stators 

Hi all. I bought a 78 t140 last year. While servicing it before I even rode it at that time I found chunks of what looked like Bakelite in the primary fluid, so I popped the cover off and saw that the stator was cracked in many places, even letting some of the whitish plastic wire insulation goop out through some of the cracks and run the rotor. I assumed the stator wasn't gapped properly at some point and went about thoroughly cleaning the primary case and installing a new stator, this time a high output one to go with a ss r/r that I also put in for other reasons. I checked and checked and triple checked for .008 at all points and rotations on the new alternator, checked chain tension, replaced clutch and springs while I was in there and buttoned back up. Proceeded to ride the rest of the summer, maybe 1500 miles and then one day not far from home heard a clicking behind the primary cover. Got home and popped the inspection cover by the alternator and can clearly see behind it that the new stator is now cracked. My question is what should I be on the lookout for? Out of round rotor? Something else disintegrating and chunks getting lodged between the stator and rotor? I hate to say it but..main bearing failure? How would I go about accurately measuring runout on the crank end with the crank in the bike? I haven't pulled the cover yet this spring, will get to it soon, just hoping to get a head start. I don't know if it matters but the rotor is an aftermarket "wassel". I have since purchased used oem Lucas alternator that's sitting on the bench. Thanks in advance for any ideas or solutions.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:29 am
Site Admin

It really does sound like main bearing failure. You will have to strip everything on the primary side and install a dial indicator on the crankshaft in the area where the rotor is attached then find a way to apply leverage on the shaft in all directions. Pretty much and measurable over a thou or so play means the bearing is shot.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:17 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for your input Gary, I will do just that.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]